Sunday, March 26, 2006

Sprinting Like Petacchi

Fresno Time Trial
Alright, maybe not just like Allessandro Petacchi, but I did throw down a decent sprint today for my first win of the season. I made the break today. Yesterday I fell asleep at the wheel and missed the break early. It was very windy so I should have known that it would go early on in the race. I tried to bridge up with some of the other strong riders from Durango, but the four of us were no match for the seven motivated riders in the lead group. I ended up finishing 9th yesterday in the first stage. Today I didn't make the same mistake and made it into the break early. The break consisted of eight racers and we soon had 3 minutes on the field. We were in the gutter allot early on and at the end of the race because the winds were so bad. On the way out we averaged 37mph, on the way back it was 14mph. It was like racing in slow motion. In the last six miles the attacks started. Jon Tarkington(he's the guy with the wig) from the Vitamin Cottage Team started the attacks. The cross wind was hell, but I was able to get on his wheel. We caught a racer that had attacked early and then Tarkington got away again. I bridged up in the last kilometer and played the cat and mouse game. Then Jon attacked again at 500 to go, I was anticipating the attack and jumped on him right away. I waited until 100 meters to make my move. It was such a rush! Tarkington didn't give it to me. He is a wiley, strong racer, and I barely got him at the line. A good ending to a crazy weekend of racing. All of the Durango riders were riding awesome. Everyone is so strong and it was good to be working with Miles, Mitch, and Lee in the chase group.

The whole weekend was an adventure. The Super 8 Motel in Moriarity, New Mexico was a dive. The first night I think there was a track meet taking place on the second floor. Kids were running around all night. I was about to take the massage stick up there and give someone the beating of a lifetime at about 4:30 in the morning. The best part was after the race today, cracked and hungry, I went back to the car for some food. Sean Peck, whom I rode down with, locked the keys in the car. Three hours and $60 dollars later a lock smith shows up and opens the door in 4 seconds! Aaaahh SNAP!

It is good to be home in D-Town again. I am planning on sticking around here for some fun hard training in the passes this weekend if the weather cooperates. I have to get back to writing my paper now though. The life of a student athlete, I'm not complaining! It isn't bad at all. Until next time.

1 comment:

Souza said...

Congrats on your win! Good luck getting onto the Georgia team. You planning on any NORBAs this year??