Friday, March 31, 2006

Dirt Track Date!

Cruising some fresh single track on the new Epic Mtn. Bike
Putting out the vibe, Mesa Verde National Park in the background.
Raley goes down! I had the camera out just in time to catch the end of the crash!
I took a trip over to the outskirts of Cortez, Colorado to ride Phil's World on the mountain bike. I needed a good hard couple of hours and something different. My brother Zach and my roommate Shawn were also up for some sweet single-track. The conditions were perfect and we hit up a new trail that was awesome. The new trail is more technical than the rest of the trails out there and has lots of good little climbs that sweep through the Pinions and sagebrush. Mesa Verde is always a cool sight in the background. It was good to hit the dirt for a change of pace.
The new mountain bike is different. I am still not sold on full suspension bikes for fast hard riding. I feel like it takes more energy to maneuver the bike because it weighs a few extra pounds and it feels sluggish out of the corners. I do notice that it climbs well despite the weight difference and it is comfortable. Is this worth the extra $$$ you spend and the extra weight? I am not sold yet. I think I just need to race it and see how it feels during an actual race. I still think hardtails rule in racing, no doubt in my mind!
Yesterday I went back to the Townie accident site to relive the trauma. My injuries are healing quick and I felt good on the mountain bike today. The search for the front wheel continues although I doubt that I will ever find it. Whatever? I hope the weather is good tomorrow so that I can ride in the mountains. If not, maybe some more dirt riding tomorrow.

No comments: