Monday, March 13, 2006

Back to Winter

I made it back to Durango today to find a million Texans here for some spring break skiing. "Y'all aint from round here is ya?" I don't mind the Texans at all ,but when they come in hoards it just gets overwhelming sometimes. I am just glad I don't work at a ski rental shop right now. They are stoked on the 100 inches of new snow at Wolf Creek and 30 something at Purgatory. I am not into the snow right now at all though. It is full blown winter here.

We finished up the race yesterday in Fresno with the downtown criterium. It was a good safe and fun course. The 180 degree turn wasn't bad because if you went down in it you were going slow already. There were only crashes that I saw and most of them lacked any major carnage which is always a good thing. I was tired and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get up towards the front. I would come close and then it would just string out again. I am feeling better about racing through.

It is good to be back in Durango even though there is all this new snow. I don't miss the Fresno Ghetto. I liked being with the teammates and racing but I don't miss a few things. Some of the luxuries I do miss already are: 1.) The trains going by right in our backyard sounding it's horn all day and night. 2.) I miss Kent, the rat that lived in the kitchen. 3.) I also miss the air mattress with the slow leak. 4.) and finally I miss all of the T Wells cocky shit talk.

I am looking forward to some hard training in the next couple of weeks. The next race I do may be as soon as this weekend down in New Mexico, but most likely will be Redlands. I am back in the saddle tomorrow for some riding at altitude. It is good to be home again.

No comments: