Thursday, March 30, 2006

Carnage on the Townie!


I know that anyone who has ridden a bike before has thought about this. What would happen if my front wheel came off while riding? It is a scary thought that your wheel could come off throwing you into the pavement. I have thought about it before and brushed it off as a risk of riding a bike and I have had faith in my quick releases staying on. Well, on Tuesday this thought became a reality as I headed home from campus. I had just started coming down the Front Hill of the college. I didn't even have time to react it happened so fast. I heard a rattling and looked down to see my wheel come off of my bike. As my fork hit the pavement I was thrown over the bars and twisted landin on my right knee and smacking my ribs on the bike. It all happened so fast and I didn't know what was going on. I crawled over the curb out of the road as onlookers came to help me. One of my college teammates, Noah Singer, pulled up shortly after to help me out. The townie (Blue Thunder) was in bad shape. Both fenders are destroyed and the front wheel was never to be found. I still haven't found it! I am lucky to have walked away in not to bad of shape. Some bruised ribs, a sore knee and road rash are all that I acquired, Lucky!

I suspect foul play is involved in my wheel coming off since my bike was sitting outside class in the bike rack. Maybe someone is so jealous of my chiseled abs and stunning features or they just couldn't take it that I am better than they are at bike racing. Whatever it is, the Durango Police have launched an investigation into the attempted murder. I hope they catch the culprit(s) and find my wheel for finger printing. Thanks to Noah for helping pick up the pieces and get me back to my house.

Besides being banged up I snuck out for a ride yesterday in the monsoon weather that we are having and woke up to snow this morning. What happened to that 60 degree weather that we were having back in February? Maybe I will head south and hammer out some mountain biking this weekend if the weather is still bad. I think my next race will be the Boulder Roubaix in two weeks. Stay tuned and watch out for your wheels falling off, I don't wish that on anyone.

1 comment:

Cylceution said...

I confess
it was NOT me glad you are okay. throw some dirt on it and get back in there!