Monday, March 20, 2006

The First Loser, 2nd at Highway 6

Well I initiated the break yesterday and we took off from the group early. It was a little big with nine riders. Three of which happened to be from the same team, NMVS. They were pretty much the three strongest guys in New Mexico. After racing all day in freezing rain and snow it started to get uncomfortable being outnumbered. With 8 miles to go the three teammates started to attack. No one else would work so I had to sit on the front and bring back the attacker. After covering and trying to go with a bunch of attacks within the last 6 miles of the race it came down to the last 200 meters. All nine guys still there. I got on 4th wheel and was in good position,but the guy in front of me pulled off and left a gap. I almost got Todd Gulgolski at the line, but he had the jump on me and was weaving all over the place. It was a good race though.

The RMCF guys did pretty good with Rolondo placing in 5th and being one of the nine in the early break. The sprint was just to weird and Rolondo likes to wind it up and string it out early. That guys drinks more coffee than a Starbucks worker. He pretty much had a pot of coffee in his hand at all time. First thing he did after the race was brew a fresh pot, First thing! I would lose it with that much caffeine. I can barely have a cup without hallucinating.

This week is a rest week for me. I am going to head back down to New Mexico for the Two Days of Estancia road race. The races are a little longer and have more climbing. Should be better for me and I look forward to racing some more. I am looking for some host housing down there for the race if anyone in Albuquerque has a place for myself and a couple others to crash. Shoot me an email.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shriver...
That means that i am the 4th loser. Damn!! Guess what am i doing right now?? just looking around at the web with my cup of coffee here at Joe's in D-town...I just needed something to recovered from the hard ride of today. By the way my name is Rolando. Congratulations that the team made it to Georgia!!