Monday, July 30, 2007

Yellowstone Bike Tour

The Bike tour route 337 miles in about 5 days with Bob trailers is doable?
I have been thinking about doing a bike tour for many years now. With school and racing and work it has been a non-realistic idea. Now that school is done with I have the opportunity to do a bike tour and I want to go back to Yellowstone. I lived in Yellowstone with my father and brother when I was a youngster during the summers. My father worked for the park service and we left after the fires of 88' and I haven't been back since. Even living in Jackson only a short trip away, I was just busy racing and riding around that area. Well I am ready to get back to my roots and see the place I once new pretty well.
The plan is to start from my fathers house in Victor, Idaho and travel up to West Yellowstone back to Mammoth Hot Springs were we lived. Cruise down to Gardiner, Montana, hit the boiling river, an incredible hot spring that we always went to, and then continue on through Yellowstone down through Grand Teton National park and to Jackson were I was born. From there we will finish with a climb up over Teton Pass much slower than the record pace that I set a few years ago (Bragging!) and finish at the house. Pretty freaking sweet!
We are going to do this a week or so after US Pro road nats in September unless my schedule and commitments change with the team. Still waiting on Tour of Missouri and don't know if we are doing that race or not. I am going to be riding with my brother and so far it is just the two of us and will probably stay that way to make good time and make it easy to travel. I will probably use a bob trailer, but panier's are not out of the question and a mountain bike with slicks.
It should be a blast. I have never done this before so any tips you have for me, throw them my way. I felt a little tired today after the past weekend. I took a little rest and am ready to get back to it. There is a Mountain Bike race here this weekend, an old classic that has been brought back and the course goes up the Hermosa Creek trail. I think I will give it a try and see how it goes. Will be good training for the crits coming up as it will be hard from the start. Off to pint night, $2 pints.. just a couple as the season is still underway.

2 comments:

chris and hollie mcgovern said...

here is a tip: dont start any fires!!!! that whole area is a tinder box right now.
oh, and can i go with you guys? it sounds like a killer trip!

Anonymous said...

Good tip, no fires! Should be a blast. I am sure if you wanted to join the tour we could make it happen. You just have to get to victor and that would be a long haul. Throw in the panniers and start touring a week early and you could be in victor on time.