Friday, July 13, 2007

The rest of the story from Seattle

And now....the rest of the story. Johny Sundt grew up in the Seattle area and took us by Kurt Cobain's house on the ride. If you don't know who Cobain is, then I don't know what to tell you. He was the lead singer of Nirvana and the creator of Alternative grunge rock music is the way I remember it. Anyway, this is the house were he and Courtney Love lived when he committed suicide in this house.

So of course we decided to stop and take a picture real quick on the way back toward the end of the ride. It was funny because Johny said, "oh the gate is open, it is never open, quick take the picture before it closes". I busted out the camera and took a couple shots, and as I did the owner I am assuming in the silver Tacoma came out the driveway. Well the owner flipped out! This is the conversation as I remember it and maybe Austin can add in any commentary if he remembers it differently.

Owner: "Did you just take my picture?"
Me: "No I just took one of the house."
Owner: "Yeah, but I am in it!"
Me: "Sorry man".
Owner: "Why are you taking pictures of us You just took a picture of me and my niece, why?"
Me: " I was taking pictures of the house, it's a nice house." Not the real reason, but it was a nice house.
At this point the guy in the truck was very unnerved and I couldn't tell if you was scared of me in my orange cycling spandex or if he was angry. His voice was kind of shaky and there was a large amount of tension. The conversation continued.
Owner: "You need to erase those photos!"
Me: "Sure sorry, no problem, I was just taking a picture of the house. Is it o.k. if I take a picture?"
Owner: Very agitated and shaken said "No, it's not really o.k."

Austin looks at me and says under his breath, "dude, don't erase it. Lets go" . I said sorry and we started to ride away. As we were riding away the owner of the house threw it in reverse and quickly went back up the driveway to the house. I don't know if he was going back to get a gun, call the police, or just forgot something. Either way, were didn't stick around to find out.

I am sure he knows that the house he is living in is a part of music history and is probably bombarded with people taking photos all time. I felt kind of bad and can understand if he doesn't want to be in the photo. But seriously, I was on a public sidewalk and obviously I am not the Paparazzi. It was a bit strange and the guy kind of freaked me out. Putting myself in his shoes, I would definitely be over people taking pictures of the house all the time, but dude, get used to it. YOU ARE LIVING IN A DEAD MUSIC LEGENDS HOUSE!

That's the rest of the story!

Another quick note. Checked out the Time trial hill climb course today. It is steep, and about 1Kilometer long. We race two at a time up the thing. I felt o.k. on the ride today. Hopefully the Shriver Surge is there today. We will see. Hope the weather holds as it is looking like rain. More tonight after the TT.

No comments: