Saturday, July 21, 2007

Coming back around: Delta hillclimb

Matched up with Kyle Wamsley from Navigators, The last 10% pitch of the climb hurt, badly!
Photos: Greg Descantes www.descantes.com
My teammate Austin and I got held up at the start of Gastown by this hack!

The racing has been flying by here in B.C. I have two races and after tomorrow I head out to Durango on Monday morning. I have raced three times since my last update and I am no longer in the city thankfully. I couldn't do it for much longer. It reminded me of being in New York City were you are constantly dodging people on the sidewalk.

The Giro de Burnaby went much better for me. My legs felt a bit better. David has been keeping the team together with some good finishes. He ended up getting into the early break that ended up being the winning move. We were a bit surprised to see it go so early and could have used one more guy in there. He came in fourth which is awesome after being out numbered.

The hill climb last night marked the beginning of the Tour de Delta. The weather is pretty much the same each day, cold and rainy. I am getting a bit tired of it. The climb last night was short and not really steep enough to be called a hill climb. I gave it all I had but started out a bit slow and by the finish I was coming apart. I think I may have snuck in the top 10 but they still don't have the results posted. I hope that one of us got in the points last night. The hill climbs are fun, but it is allot of build up for a 69 second drag race effort.

My teammate Austin King and I are in a nice host house with a fully finished basement apartment all to ourselves. The couple we are staying with have two kids, aged 5 and 15 months. The kids are a blast and I have already played Legos, NHL hockey, and Battleship a few times. If I win at any of the games there is hell to pay and somehow the actual rules to the games get lost and the 5 year old makes up the rules as he goes so that he always wins. Hmmmm! That sounds fair. It actually reminds me of when I was a kid, bending the rules. He even whines like I used to and procrastinates doing his chores all day. It is pretty funny.

Not much else to write about. It has started raining again and we have a crit later tonight for the second stage of the Tour de Delta. We are going for stage wins now and primes, not so much the overall. I look foreword to heading back home soon to the dry mountains in Colorado.

No comments: