Monday, June 18, 2007

Olympic Mountain Biking

I have been laying low in Athens, GA for the last week since Philly. Athens is a pretty happening town. I would even go as far as that I could live here. The town is pretty cool, the people seem friendly, and there is allot to do for fun. The road riding is great with endless roads in all directions. The bad thing is the humidity. It gets pretty hot and humid. If you aren't used to it like me, it can definitely get to you at first.

Yesterday my teammate Cody Stephenson and I went over to Conyers, GA to ride the 1996 Olympic Mountain Bike course. We rounded up some sweet mountain bikes from @ the Hub, the local shop in Athens, and headed down there with big John Erwin. John is our mechanic and works at the shop. John organized a Father's Day ride and Cody and I seemed to be a main attraction. I guess people will take any opportunity they can get to come out and put the wood to the roadies on the dirt. I rode a sweet 29er for the first time and Cody roosted a new Fuel. It was a blast and felt great to be out in the woods on mountain bikes.

The Olympic course was actually much more challenging than I thought it would be. I remember watching it on t.v. and seeing the Granite Slick Rock sections, which by the way, pummeled my hands. Cody and I had no trouble cruising through the trees with our road kits on and even riding in road shoes and our Speedplay road pedals. As for the 29er. I think I am still sold on a short travel full suspension with 26 inch wheels. The 29er just doesn't accelerate as well. You can definitely get away with rolling over big things and laying it into corners with a bigger wheel. It just felt a bit sluggish and harsh on the pot holed rock section.

I ended up catching a bit of a cold after Philly. After racing in the rain in Lancaster and all the crap on the roads in PA, in general, it is no surprise. It seems that many people have become sick. I am not the only one with a head cold. Whatever, I feel strong on the bike so hopefully I can translate that into something next week in Nature Valley.

Today I head out to Minnesota for the Nature Valley Grand Prix. Lots of racing in 5 days. Even a double day stage with a criterium and a time trial. Last year I ended up crashing out of the race, so I hope to at least finish and would like to score a result there for the team if not for myself.

Well, I am off and running to the Atlanta Airport today. Bigger news is that I am not doing Tour de Toona this year. Instead I have been assigned to do the British Colombia Superweek. I am very excited. New races are always a good time and new country. Until next time.

No comments: