Friday, June 29, 2007

Ever been charged by a deer?

The View from the top of Gudy's Rest looking toward Durango
Colorado Trail: Runs from Durango to Denver
Zach and I on the Bridge before the ascent to Gudy's Rest
The steed for 07 MTB Adventures
I kicked the virus for the most part after anothe long day of couch time. I felt pretty normal today. Most of my energy is back, but still taking it easy. Very easy! No more sore throat or aches and pains.
This morning I got up early and met Zach Valdez and his friend Trisha for a chill ride up to Gudy's on the Colorado Trail. This was just what I needed. Some mountain biking, easy and fun. On the last switchback just before the top I heard something coming through the woods down a super steep slope just above me. At first I thought for sure this was going to be a mountain lion or a bear. I couldn't see what it was but it was coming right at me and very fast crashing through the woods. The noise got louder and I could see brown flashes and branches and leaves flying everywhere. Finally I saw my attacker, a huge Buck with new antlers only half grown and in velvet. I don't think he was actually charging me but something above him had spooked him. The buck was coming right for me and I could see the fear in its eyes. I don't even know if he saw me until about 10 feet away when he turned so quick and bolted down and across the hillside. At this point I had stopped breathing and my heart rate had reached 190. I have had allot of encounters with animals, Grizzly Bears, elk, Bison, deer. This was by far one the most bazaar. So watch out for the rabid deer attacks on the Colorado Trail.
Zach just started mountain biking and this was his second ride. He is either a natural or completely out of control. I think it is a bit of both. Riding behind him was cracking me up. He would go flying into switchback, completely blow them and end up out in the weeds. For the most part though, he was doing really well for a new rider.
It was great to be out on the mountain bike. Tomorrow I think I will be able to get back to the training 100% and give it some good effort. I am still not sure about the Fire Cracker 50. I guess I better decide soon, I think it fills up quick. Either way, I will be doing an epic ride to celebrate my independence.



No comments: