Sunday, June 24, 2007

"My skirt got caught in my chain"

My skirt go caught in my chain today pretty much sums it up. Hoppy made this comment about people who explain what went wrong with their race. You either have it or you don't. The sob story that follows is just an excuse. This is where the saying about your skirt comes from.

I rode a great race until 5 laps to go in the crit today. Probably one of the better days and I totally blew the opportunity. Not because of bad legs, just bad positioning and day dreaming. I was so caught up in saving energy and using just enough to get over the climbs so that in the end I had enough to go that I lost track on how many laps were left. When Jesse came on the radio and said your at 5 laps to go, I looked back to see how many guys were behind me, none! I thought I was sitting mid pack, but I was dangling. I started to move up and David was coming off the group, still battling for the Best Young Riders jersey. I brought him back to the group along with Neil. I saw the move starting to go I just watched thinking it would come back together. It didn't and I got taken off the back of the race on the next climb by one of the Colombians. Chased back on only to come around the final corner before the last climb to the finish to with a Jelly Belly rider sliding on the pavement into the curb with and Chris Baldwin next in line to stack it on top of him. Nailed the brakes, sideways skid, just missed it by the skin of my teeth. That was it thought for me. A wasted opportunity in my mind. I had great legs, just didn't ride smart and didn't capitalize. My Skirt........got caught......in my chain!

That is a wrap on the Nature Valley GP. Back to Durango tomorrow. Wow! I am looking foreword to that. It has been far to long since I have been home. Can't wait to ride the mountain bike and just enjoy my training at home. Then it is of to Canada to race in British Colombia. Thanks to everyone for cheering out there today. It was awesome going up the climb. Lots of fans.

No comments: