Friday, June 22, 2007

Nature Valley Stage 2: MY RACE OVER!

The second stage of the Nature Valley GP was a complete junk show yesterday. It was really hard fighting for position in the cross winds all day. Constantly fighting for wheels with people. It was a tough day.

I knew it was going to be hard when the "Neutral Start" was going 27 mph and it was super sketchy. Within 5 miles there was about a 40 man pile up taking out 5 of the 7 riders we had in the race. Luckily myself and David the Quebexican managed to stay out of it. It eventually came back together.

With about 1 mile left till we hit the circuits I moved into perfect position with three of my teammates all up front for the dirt section. We hit the at the front of the group and within 200 yards on the gravel section I blew my tire. RACE OVER! The dirt section is only about 500 yards long and I flatted on it. I hit the radio to request a rear wheel from the team car, but before the car got there here comes Hoppy my teammate. Jeff swapped wheels so fast with me all I saw was a flash of orange and some wisps of the flowing red mullet. He got a wheel just and quickly and we chased back onto the circuits. Our day was over though and we would lose 15 minutes. Aaah! David pulled on the best young rider jersey and Big Evan continues his pursuit of a podium as he came closer with a 5th place.

So here I am in the same position as last year at this race. Completely out of any GC positoin. From here all that I can do it be opportunistic for a stage win and help my teammates anyway I can. This race holds some kind of grudge against me.

This morning we have a time trial and then later we do the infamous downtown criterium. Another one that is fast as hell with 6 turns in a 1.2K circuit. Surely, it will hurt again. Hope the weather holds up this year and there isn't any rain. Wish us luck!

No comments: