Monday, April 16, 2007

"Poor Matt Shriver still in no man's land!"

Those words pretty much sum up my day. I was sitting a little to far back. Saw the move go. Then we set up to try to get into it. My teammates and I attacked until one of us got away. First it was Austin who went. Got a gap and came back. Right after that Big Evan launched it, got brought back. Then Neil Shirley went, got brought back. So it was my turn I went and no one came with me. A huge tailwind 53x11, 56kph, almost spinning out. I thought I might catch, got very close, within about 10 seconds and then the gap started to open back up. In this situation a grizzled veteran would sit up and go back to the group. What did I do, kept my head down like the still developing roadie that I am and tried to close it. I help the gap for a long time. No radio contact so I couldn't hear all of my teammates and director yelling into the radio for me to sit up. I knew that I should have sat up, but the tailwind made me feel like superman. I felt good, no advice except from the Mavic guys on the motor bike who must have wanted to see me burn "You are right there, only one minute down and holding" they kept saying. I chased for way to long. Burned a few matches and didn't have anything to show for it at the end. Finally the team car showed up and Jesse"Was like, what are you doing?" The first time it officially crossed my mind that I was being an idiot. I sat up, group caught me. Missed the crash in the finishing circuits, went right out the back on the climb, lost some time. Shit! Rookie maneuvers. Lesson I learned today: "When the break is gone, you aren't going to catch by yourself, sit up!".

Congratulations to Tommy Nankervis, my teammate, who is wearing the best young riders jersey. Nice work! Cesar looked good as well and was right up there in the end. I wish I could have got in the move, I might have been able to do something, I was feeling strong today. There are still 6 days left. Better get some rest. 136 miles tomorrow. Oooh Snap!

1 comment:

Walker Thompson said...

Hey Matt! I didn't realize you were on the Jittery Team; that's sweet. Keep up the killer work...