Friday, April 13, 2007

Ceasar's Palace

Neil and Willo are both a little overly excited about Tommy's Postcard
Some of the guys have their bios on the Coffee sleeves at the Jittery Joe's Stores
Coffee heaven!
I am staying at Ceasar's (Say-zar), not Ceaser like the salad. He hates that. Anyway, it has been comfortable and Athens is a nice happening town. I am definitely looking foreword to hanging out here a bit this summer. Pretty much getting back in the groove of just riding and resting. I am enjoying the calm before the storm. Still hasn't hit me yet that I will be racing as hard as I can for over 700 miles next week. You think I am cracked now people, you just wait.
Georgia is definitely different. There are dogs all over the roads. We got chased a few time today on our ride and I guess there are usually more dogs. The spray them with the water bottle trick doesn't really work either. They just show more teeth! I saw about three Confederate Flags on the ride. It is interesting to be in the South. You can see where the stereo types come from. There is a fried chicken restaurant on every corner, frat houses, and lots of equestrian centers out of town. That is big around here I guess. It is a totally different culture, but I am digging it here for sure.
I saw Alex Hagman in the parking lot at the grocery store near the Jittery Joe's location were the publicity session was. I knew Shaggy was in Athens, just funny to run into he and his brother. Good blokes, as the Aussies would say.
I have some more pictures from today's ride. We stopped to take a pisso break on the side of the road and within seconds Tommy was getting carried away and eaten by Fire Ants. I have some pictures of him with his shoes off in the middle of the road trying to get rid of the ants. It was great! I only got a few bites, but the little buggers will get you good if you're not paying attention.
Off to Peach tree tomorrow. I am listening to some of Ceasar's music right now. He has some incredible stories about Colombia. It doesn't sound safe. Guns, knifes, broken beer bottles to peoples necks, corrupt police, drug cartels, crazy stuff. Here we are oblivious to it all.

No comments: