Sunday, February 25, 2007

Moab always delivers

Rise and shine campers, don't forget your booties because it's cold out there!
Drop it like it's hot! Why is my tongue out?
Turned out to be a little more snow than expected on Porcupine Rim
Moab always delivers some kind of adventure. Last year I didn't get to ride my mountain bike that much. Going to Moab was definitely a test of the skills that I once had on the mountain bike. It was great to get back to my roots for the weekend and ride some epic classic mountain bike rides in Moab.
When we left on Friday it was dumping snow in Durango. About 12 miles out of Moab we ended up hitting some serious white out conditions. We couldn't see 10 feet in front of us and the roads were covered with snow. My brother and I thought for sure we would be turning right around and heading back. We woke up to snow.
We decided to roll into town from out camp at Behind the Rocks and get a cup of coffee. The sun came out blazing and there was no snow on the North end of town. We hit up a new ride on the way out to Sovereign trail and also some new trail to get out there called Bar M loop. It turned out to be a great ride and the sun was shining the whole time.
After the best sleep I have had in months in the Westy V-W, we hit it early today to get back to Durango at a good time. Zach and I decided to go for Porcupine Rim which we knew would be a little snowy and epic near the top in the shade of the North faces. Our approach was different as we took a new trail out on Sand Flats called Fin's N things. It turned out to be an awesome jeep trail that puts you right into the Porcupine Rim trail. The descent was a little hairy. Not only is Moab famous for very technical riding, dropping steep ledges with ice and snow was a bit more trying. My skills were a little off at first. When I came up to my first ledge, all of about 6 inches, I totally puckered and hit the brakes. Finally I got myself to get up the courage to drop the little ledge. It felt like I was base jumping or something, serious pucker factor!
I have two days of training in Durango and then I am off to San Diego for camp and to meet the team. I have been looking foreword to this coming week since I signed with Jittery Joe's. My future awaits me and I get a taste week of what is to come. Hopefully I also get a taste of some dang good coffee from Jittery.

1 comment:

chris and hollie mcgovern said...

dude-
looks like a killer trip.
nice looking shoes...making me proud!
let us know how training camp is going