Monday, July 03, 2006

Recovering from Fitchburg

The Fitchburg Longsjo Classic came to a close yesterday with the downtown criterium. The weather held up and it was actually very hot instead of pouring rain. The previous days of racing had taken its toll on the riders in the field and the pace wasn't unbearably fast like some of the crits have been this season. Going into the stage I was in 3rd place in the Sprint Points competition. There was no way that I could move up into first so my goal was to try to hang onto 3rd place. With 20 laps to go I attacked on the back section and was the first guy through the last corner. Toyota United was right on my wheel but I don't think they were to worried about me getting away. I eased up a tad and two guys pulled around me. There was a stiff headwind so I swung to the right side of the road and attacked again and stole a 25 more points for the competition. Luckily I was able to hold onto my 3rd place for my first podium in an NRC event. I put on a clean jersey that was two sizes to small and a fresh hat. It was great to be on the podium and I look forward to more results soon.
Now I am hanging out in New Jersey at my director Ken Mills' house sipping on a cup of coffee and watching the tour. I think it more exciting without Lance in the race. It is anyone's race right now and it was a huge surprise to see Hincapie in the yellow.
Last night we got in at 2:30 in the morning because we had to drive 3 hours in the wrong direction to drop of some of the riders in Westport and then head back down to Jersey. Ken's stories never stop and at the end of the drive my ears were bleeding from all the squawk. He does have some good stories after directing so many teams over the years.
Well I can't wait to get back to Durango to rest up and get some good training in. Maybe even hit the dirt for a little mountain biking. I am thinking about doing the Mount Evans race as well for the first time. I may not be ready to ride at elevation though, so we will see.

No comments: