Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Alright, I guess I will update the site

It has been awhile since I have updated my website and about time I stop leaving everyone in the dark. I hung out in New Jersey for a few days with the Director Ken Mills. It wasn't to bad because I started a good rest block the day after Fitchburg. It was good for Ken to because I cracked the whip and made him put down the Dunkin Donuts and get out on a few rides. We just took it easy and Mills was cracking hard at the end of a 2 hour recovery ride. We had to stop and get more water because it was hot and Mills needed to pour it all over himself. God it was funny watching that guy crack at 12 mph. The next day he tried to drop me with the famous " Mills Mash". It is sort of like his version of the "Shriver Surge" but not even close. That was at 1.5 hours into our ride and that was all she wrote for Ken after that effort, DONE!
I have been back in Durango for the last week now and it has been great. I arrived to pouring rain and it rained every day for the first 5 days I was here. The monsoon season is here. It is nice though because it only rains part of the day and keeps it nice and cool and the training is great. I started another hard block of training a few days ago to bring the form back on after a week of rest. I have been suffering a little because of the altitude which is something that I have never really experienced before. The recovery just takes forever. You can't go as hard and expect to have that same kind of effort in the tank later in a ride. I hit up the group ride yesterday and it was just as hard as I remember. I went ahead and did an hour of intervals and threshold work before the ride to so that made it even harder. I got punished on the climb up Shalona a little but saved enough to crush it at the end. Overend tried to out sprint me at the end of the ride. What was he thinking sprinting with me when I hadn't even unleashed the Shriver Surge? Doesn't he know I am a sprinter now? It was great to ride with the local crew and as usual they are all super fit and lean. It also means being able to do climbs longer than one minute. I did two climbs today that were 10 miles long and 6 miles long. I love it and hopefully it will help me regain the climbing legs for Altoona.
I head back out to the East Coast next week. I am looking forward to racing some more and want to better my results and do well for the team. Anyway, more later, I am on a vacation and over updating the website. Thanks for stopping in!

No comments: