Monday, May 08, 2006

I survived the Gila!

I made it home last night from the Gila. I have to say it was one of the hardest races I have done in a long time. The form wasn't good and I was hanging on from day one if you didn't notice in the results. Yesterday I wanted to make the first group over the first hard climb. I didn't make it and ended up in the second group. I knew that if I was in that second group I would lose tons more time than I would staying in the lead group a little longer. I hit it hard on the descent and bridged up to the main group. I can honestly say that I was going way to fast and pushing my limits. I made it though and it was a good move. I would have finished about 20 minutes further behind than I did. Whew! It was also much easier than being out there in the wind solo. Once I bridged back up I made sure Anthony, Andy, and Josh were all fueled up for the big climbs ahead and feeling good. I popped off as soon as it headed upward again.

I rode at my own pace and kept catching groups all day. I actually think that I did better by saving a little than totally detonating trying to hang on to the leaders. My teammates rode amazingly well and finished two guys in the top five taking 2nd and 5th place. Andy Guptil's ride was impressive and it was his best finish at an NRC to date. Good job Guptil. Colby ended up finishing 4th in the G.C. Not a bad week of racing for the Target Training team.

I am resting up now for a few days before heading out to collegiate nationals in Lawrence, Kansas. The time trial is on Friday this year instead of Sunday. We should do well and the team is looking stronger than ever. We have a good girls team and a good guys team heading out there. I look forward to a few days of doing very little riding after the gila. I have made the mistake of not resting enough after that race before, it isn't pretty.

1 comment:

IHateToddWells said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.