Saturday, May 06, 2006

Dr. Frank, SRA, working on the real Joey Thompson, gave us a surprise visit this week!
The Narrows on the way to the Gila.
Living large in the Motel 6,
Check out the pool, Who needs it anyway?
Finally some internet service. We had to come down to Dr. Franks room at the Econo Lodge. They actually have internet and even fresh towels! So far my Gila has been crap. I don't know what happened in the time trial, I have been feeling really good, but for some reason I decided to raise my seat a tad. Not a good idea! I felt horrible and got crushed in the TT. Stage two was pretty fast all the way out. I did allot of work on the way out there trying to help out the other teammates. Guptil flatted and I dropped way back to help bring him back up. I wasn't feeling it. We got to the bottom of the climb and I helped keep Anthony out of the wind and brought him up to the front at the bottom of the climb and then cracked. I lost more time and have never climbed the Mogillon climb that slow.
Stage 3 was better. Toyota United Pro kept a solid pace at the front keeping everything close. I actually felt o.k. on the climbs and decided to stay up front at the end. I felt like I could have given it a go in the sprint but I wasn't far enough up and got popped in the last 200 meters just before the sprint. There were a ton of crashes at the end and we Ryan Blickem in a horrific crash. Ryan hit a piece of wood on the road in the last mile of the race. His hands came off the bars and he went over a guard rail. Ryan ended up breaking his right femur. No one saw it happen and he laid there helpless yelling for help. Scary! He is doing better today and his spirits are good. Shattered his femur and it was a compound fracture. It sounds like he will have a quick recovery.
Today is the criterium downtown. Usually nothing gets away or if it does they bring it back at the end. I might try to go with a break if I feel better. Anyway, sorry for the lame update, but it had been a rough go. I don't know why, but it should get better. Thanks to Dr. Frank I am feeling much better already. The SRA really helps!

1 comment:

shriverracing said...

That last day was survival! I am still in the hurt locker today. I was stoked to make it to the finish.